Would you let your web site designer setup your networks and repair your computers?
You see them everywhere, companies that advertise that they will build your network, your new computer, get rid of that pesky virus…. and design your web site. Most people think that this is a natural extension of the PC repair company’s services. Nothing is further from the truth. It would be like my bicycle repair guy working on my Dodge Viper. Since both are vehicles, have wheels and are in need of a mechanic it should work, right?
So why write this article?
I have seen this happen so many times. A client goes into a repair shop for their computer and chats with the tech about business. The tech finds out that the client needs to update their website and Internet Marketing. This leads to the sale of a website and related services to the PC repair client. The web site is produced on a template and very basic SEO is done. the web site is then released into the wild with no hope of a productive future for the company.
The worst part is that the website was sold as a low-cost product undercutting legitimate web site designers and Internet Marketing firms. So in order to illustrate the pitfalls of hiring a IT company for your web site design and Internet Marketing projects, read on:
- Left Brain / Right Brain: The documentation is out there on how the brain is wired for creative functions. IT guys are hardwired to be very logical and are used to the straight forward building of networks and computer boards. There is not a lot of room for creativity for them in their jobs. 90% of the time, this is how they approach the design of a web site.
- SEO: Most of these logical thinkers believe if they read the Google blog and become AdWord certified, that they now know everything about SEO, or that it is so simple that a caveman can do it. Again, so far from the truth as to be funny. Those in the business of doing SEO understand the complexities involved in producing the right SEO for a project and the time involved in doing it right. Done wrong, bad SEO can damage your sites reputation more than help it.
- Graphic design: This goes back to the left brain / right brain thingy again. This of us that are more right-brained than left have a greater chance of being better visual designers than a networking engineer. Although this is not always the case, it is few and far between engineers who are also artists.
- Brand development: Most IT guys don’t even understand this concept. (at least none of the ones I know do.) The understanding of Brand development is of paramount importance to a web site and the way it is designed. You can hurt your brand if the web site is produced with no thought to the company it represents.
- Social networking: Again the hooking up of web sites to the various social networks is a coding thing, but the use of this tool is not a point and shoot activity at all. The training to use it the right way, and have good results takes a deeper understanding of human psychology than most technicians will have. This will result in adverse results at the best, to out right virtual suicide for the company’s Brand online.
The reasons I have shown above are not the end-all-be-all of lists and reasons why IT Guys should not work on your web site. They are only the most awful reasons I have run across while working with Internet Marketing and web site design for the past 15 years. Feel free to add to this list in the comments below, or to refute the list all together.